Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An early gift

Rachel surprised me with an early christmas present. Before unveiling the surprise she explained that she didn't think she could hide it for the next several months and that it was not returnable. She asked if it would be alright if I received such an early gift- admittedly the prospect of something 'impossible to hide' was too intriguing to remain unclaimed for so long. I walked out to the car with her to find my very own vintage typewriter sitting on the front seat of her car.

About a month ago, Rachel and I decided to check out a local Antique store, at the time, to see if they had any vintage razors that I could buy and recondition. They did not, however, they did have an extremely large warehouse of just about everything else including this typewriter, in perfect working condition, sitting alone on a table just waiting for someone to take it home and start using it once again. I didn't have the money to spend at the time but we both made an oath that we would somehow get our hands on a beautiful machine such as this at some point in the future. Little did I know that Rachel had started saving money from that day forth in order to get it for me as a gift- tricksy hobbit, that one.

With the exception of a few minor quirks, like the 'I' key double tapping and sometimes the carriage not advancing after hammering a letter, it works like a dream. I've already typed a letter or two both littered with typos that I affectionately refer to as 'character.'

It's a wonderful gift and should you wish to receive such a barely legible letter, please let me know and I will clickety clack one out and send it your way.

Thank you Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment