Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mr. Fix-it


Or, Mr. Build-it-from-funky-materials is perhaps a more appropriate title. What you see here is an authentic metal box that used to contain "I have no idea," but my best guess is some kind of conductor or light sensitive device. The whole thing probably weighs between 20 and 30 pounds and has a hinged top and two handles on either side. We came across this behemoth while perusing one of our favorite Boise haunts- the Reuseum. Mostly they sell surplus and/or obsolete electronics and other mechanical whoo-za-whatzits but I spotted this behind the store in the salvage yard. Ten bucks later and I was on my way home with a new project box project on the horizon. 

The first step of the frankensteining was to remove the hinged lid. This involved much swearing related to the smashing of thumbs with a hammer, a small nail aimed strategically at the hinge pins and a LOT of noise. The last hinge pin was a bit of a stubborn hermit so we had to cajole it from its happy home with a bit of back and forth hammering and a spot of mineral oil. For those at home looking for an eco-friendly and wallet-friendly tip, Mineral Oil is a SUPER cheap lubricant. I use it to sharpen knives, remove hinge pins apparently and even give my wooden (and bamboo) cutting boards a renewal of life. Simply squirt a little on some paper towel, rub the oil into the wood, let it set and you've got a rejuvinated, longer-lasting wooden cutting board that also stands up to knives more readily. A thoroughly moisturized wood cutting board will 'shed' less with frequent knife action. Seriously- Mineral Oil- it rocks face. 

Anyhoo- once the top was off it was measuring and drilling time. I didn't have a punch on hand so I had to drill small pilot holes to keep the relatively massive 3/8" drill bit from dancing on the metal. I must say, with a hand-held drill I hit the mark dead-on for all four holes- quite pleased with myself. The whole thing made quite the mess but I managed to keep it confined to either on or inside the box and not on the floor. 

When I first spotted this box sitting out in the elements I knew exactly how I wanted to hang it. Bolt some kind of hook to the outsides and literally just hang it from the deck off of my apartment. What I didn't know, however, was what kind of hardware I needed to do this foreseen 'hanging.' The man at Lowe's was of no help- upon asking if I needed assistance whilst I scanned both vertically and horizontally in his designated aisle, I explained my project and desired impelement as best I could. I believe it was the phrase, "some kind of hook or bracket or something to bolt to the outside of a flower box," that left him speechless. He gazed off into the distance as if hoping, nay, praying, for some divine providence to grant him a solution to my quest. He received no such intervention- his suggestion of "well you could always see what they've got outside in the chain-link fence stuff," proved fruitless. I managed to obtain my personal ark in some corner of the store at the end of an aisle appropriately titled "hooks." Go figure. 


The hardware in question is meant for someone whom is, shall we say, basic construction skills-challenged. The two hooks come with four massive screws meant to dig straight in to drywall with no prep-work. Supposedly this removes the need for wall anchors to keep the hooks from ripping holes in your wall when a load is applied. They also, to my surprise when opening the package, had 1/2" spikes on the back of the wall plate to, or so I guess, anchor it to the wall without moving while you attach it to the wall. A quick turn of the Dremel tool and those spikes were history. Once attached to the box- I knew we were in business. A couple of machine bolts did the trick to secure both hooks nice and tight and there we are. Project finished! 

We haven't quite decided on what will actually be planted in the dirt, once said dirt is placed in box. I'm thinking mostly herbs and perhaps some small vegetable plants- we are taking suggestions so please, do suggest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment